Shelby Street Bridge

Location: 
Nashville, TN
Owner: 
Tennessee Department of Transportation
Architect: 
Tennessee Department of Transportation

Originally built in 1909, the bridge is architecturally important because it was the first in North America to use concrete arched trusses. Bell helped refurbish the bridge after it was closed to vehicular traffic in 1998 and plans were drafted to make it a pedestrian-only bridge. The project ranged from steel structural repair and deck replacement to painting and lighting. The bridge now has a 15-foot bike path in the center and two 10-foot wide boardwalk-style sidewalks, as well as elevators, ramps and stairways. Spanning the Cumberland River, the bridge links residential East Nashville with the downtown and LP Field, home of the Tennessee Titans.

‹ Back to Projects